Like the taste of homemade eggnog over store bought? Here is a great child-friendly version that uses no alcohol or raw eggs - so perfect for the little ones to enjoy this holiday! This recipe makes 6 servings.
What you need
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 1/3 cups of milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- cinnamon and/or nutmeg (optional)
How to make it
- Start by preparing an ice bath by combining ice cubes and cold water, it can be in your sink or a bowl big enough to fit the pot you are using.
- Beat the egg yolks with a whisk until fluffy. In a large pot, combine the whisked eggs, milk and sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan, until the mixture starts to thicken. Don't let the mixture come to a boil.
- When you see the mixture thickening, turn the heat off and place the pot in the ice bath to cool off. Keep stirring for a couple of minutes, scraping the sides and bottoms of pan.
- Mix in cream and vanilla and transfer to a pitcher. Cover and refrigerate for about 4 hours before serving. Add a dollop of whip cream and sprinkle with cinnamon and/or nutmeg before serving.