I finally bought myself a cookie press last year, and thus began the search for the best spritz cookie recipe (did you know that spritz cookies are also known as Swedish Butter Cookies?). Some were just too bland tasting, and some were too crumbly and dry. I finally found one that comes out perfect every time. But I have to admit I only ever think to use it around Christmas, which is just silly because they are so cute and tasty! So this week I'm going to make Spring Spritz Cookies as a great reason to use my cookie press and this yummy dough more often. Kids love to help press the cookies out too. If you don't have a cookie press you can still make these cookies, just shape the dough into a roll and slice!
What you need:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Food colouring if you'd like different coloured cookies
- Sprinkles or candies for decoration
- If you'd like to make the flower bouquet you'll also need white chocolate chips and popsicle sticks
How to make them:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add egg yolks and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Add flour and salt and mix until a dough forms. If you are using food colouring, you can add it now and mix until blended. Or separate your dough and mix one colour at a time if using several colours.
- Fill your cookie press with dough and press cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet (some use buttered cookie sheets that chill in the fridge while you make the dough, but I've always had great results with ungreased ones). If you are using sprinkles or candies for decoration, add them now.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes, results will vary depending on your oven. Check cookies often. Once edges are just barely browned, the cookies are done. Transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- If you want to make the flower bouquet as pictured below, just melt some white chocolate chips and spread on the back of a cookie. Add the popsicle stick and rotate it to completely cover it in chocolate. Add a second cookie and place (with the last cookie you added facing down) on a cookie sheet to cool and harden.