The chilly season is here and what is better than cuddling up with the family and a steaming mug of hot chocolate. The instant hot chocolate mixes are certainly convenient, but have you ever tasted homemade hot chocolate from scratch? There is just nothing like it after a fun day tobogganing or while cuddling up for story time.
This super easy recipe, using just four ingredients, is delicious and can be customized to your family's preference:
What you need:
How to make it:
- 1 cup, plus 1-2 tablespoons milk of choice
- 2 rounded teaspoons unsweetened cocoa (or cacao) powder
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place milk in a small pot over medium low heat.
- Meanwhile, place cocoa powder, sugar, and extra tablespoon of milk in a small bowl. Whisk until a paste/thick mixture forms and powder is absorbed. Add additional tablespoon of rice milk, if needed.
- Whisk cocoa mixture into milk mixture. Heat till hot but not boiling. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour into a mug.
- Serve and enjoy once the drink is cool enough to safely drink.
If you enjoy a flavoured hot chocolate, feel free to add any of the following to your tasty mug: cinnamon, peppermint extract (or candy cane), a pinch of sea salt, espresso granules or marshmallows.
This recipe makes one serving, but can easily be multiplied if you need more. And to make it even more convenient: Add the dry ingredients into a jar, mix it up and it's all ready to go when you need it!