The chilly season is here and what is better than cuddling up with the family and a steaming mug of hot chocolate. But there is a blip on the screen of our cozy happiness: There is what in our hot chocolate?? The instant hot chocolate mixes are certainly convenient, but have you looked at the ingredients lately? This is an example of one popular mix:
Say what?? As I'm on a mission to reduce the added sugars (and chemicals) in my and my family's diet, this doesn't sit well with me. I understand that eating whole, real foods can sometimes be much more time consuming than the processed food options available. But there are plenty of meals and snacks that are just as easy to prepare as the ready-made, chemical laden version, and they are so much better for us. Like hot chocolate! This super easy recipe, using just four ingredients, is delicious and can be customized to your family's preference:
What you need:
How to make it:
- 1 cup, plus 1-2 tablespoons milk of choice
- 2 rounded teaspoons unsweetened cocoa (or cacao) powder
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place milk in a small pot over medium low heat.
- Meanwhile, place cocoa powder, sugar, and extra tablespoon of milk in a small bowl. Whisk until a paste/thick mixture forms and powder is absorbed. Add additional tablespoon of rice milk, if needed.
- Whisk cocoa mixture into milk mixture. Heat till hot but not boiling. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour into a mug.
- Serve and enjoy once the drink is cool enough to safely drink.
If you enjoy a flavoured hot chocolate, feel free to add any of the following to your tasty mug: cinnamon, peppermint extract (or candy cane), a pinch of sea salt, espresso granules or marshmallows.
This recipe makes one serving, but can easily be multiplied if you need more. And to make it even more convenient: Add the dry ingredients into a jar, mix it up and it's all ready to go when you need it!